Monday 19 July 2010

Ladies wot lunch

A couple of weeks ago, when summer was at it's height, Rosy and I decided it was time to take advantage of the tucked away green spaces that London has to offer, and have a picnic.
It's amazing just what tranquility you can find in this city. Moments away from a busy road, and convenient bus route you can find yourself in gently green spaces, dappled in sunlight, refreshed by breezes, affording both quiet and comfort. I don't take advantage of it enough, and I really should.

I also don't take enough advantage of Rosy's amazing skills. I was in charge of the booze, and she was in charge of the main food items. I've been to picnics before where it's all a bit shambolic, the food is last minute, and squished into tupperware or still wrapped in shop cellophane, the blankets aren't sufficient and there is always one less plate or cup. I love those picnics for their charm, their laughter and their hapharzard cobbling together of things.

I suspected this would be something different, and I was right, after all it was two food bloggers, who take a leisurely lunch very seriously indeed. What I wasn't prepared for was just how unbelievable it would actually be. Honestly, this lady served up a still warm pesto and salad tart, a still perfectly crisp panzanella salad, and, wait for it, individual eton mess! I was out classed.

But I had the booze, so I like to think I did my bit. (we won't talk about the awful lemon cake I made that was so bad it embarrased me to even offer it...a write-off recipe that has been torn from my scrap book and burnt).

It was a perfect afternoon of calm, in the midst of one of the craziest and noisiest summers I've ever known.

I could very much get used to being a lady wot lunches.

4 comments:

Rachel Cotterill said...

I love picnics, I love London's parks - and a food blogger picnic sounds like a guaranteed good time :D

lovethosecupcakes said...

Ooh, so could I with lunches like that. Perfect.

jane said...

That looks absolutely incredible! The tart is beautiful and I am now feeling extra inspired to make panzanella, something I've never tried before. yum yum!

Rosy said...

He he, I've been out of the blogging loop for a while but yay for the lovely pics!! And it was a fantastic lunch... Do you think it'll be nice enough in Sept for us to picnic south of the river?? What with us being surrey girls now... xx