Friday 22 August 2008

More please.


I have no will power. I was supposed to hold off and not make these until the weekend. But this week has been a tough one. N and I have both been pretty exhausted, he's been working late nights again and I've been finding the writing difficult. So on Wednesday afternoon in celebration of having actually written a decent amount I decided that we needed not just a little treat, but a huge sugar rush!

These no-bake malteaser slices are evil and wonderful, so much so that N asked me to make them again, soon and not to stop! He's very supportive of my baking obsession and always compliments me on whatever baked good I put in front of him, however it's rare that I get an outright request for more of what I've made immediately.

This time I got "these are such a winner,*munch munch munch* you should make more of them, *munch, munch, munch* you should make them all the time
, *munch munch swallow smug grin*"

If I'm honest I thought they were a bit rich, even after I'd used a darker milk chocolate and less butter. But it didn't stop me from polishing off half of one at lunchtime yesterday, another half with a mid-afternoon coffee and then shared another with N as dessert. See, I told you they were evil.

I might try the next batch with dark chocolate, because yes, there will be a next batch, N says so! It may be that I finally manage to get N to "bake" something all by himself as I don't think it would take much persuading to get him to make more of these!

Recipe:
Malteaser tray bake - Makes lots as you'll need to cut them small, they're so rich. Also, I quartered this recipe in the hope of not eating too many. Clearly I should have made more!


400g milk chocolate (I used green and blacks which is less sweet than other brands)
200g unsalted butter
4 tbsp golden syrup
250g digestive biscuits
175g maltesers
250g white chocolate
50g unsalted butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
75g maltesers, crushed


Crush the digestive biscuits to make fine crumbs. Melt together the milk chocolate, 200g butter and 4 tbsp golden syrup. Mix in the crushed biscuit and maltesers and stir well. Spread out in a brown pan and compact the mixture in the pan. Melt together the white chocolate, 50g butter and 1 tbsp golden syrup. Pour the white chocolate over the top of the compacted biscuit mix and spread evenly. Pour on the crushed maltesers and spread over the top pushing gently into the melted chocolate. Leave to firm up in the fridge for a couple of hours then slice into portions.

No comments: