Monday 4 August 2008

I've finally done it.

Ta da! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, after eight months of experimenting with bread I have finally managed to produce a loaf that has risen fully and produces full sized slices for sandwiches. I am so chuffed. I think it was all about the loaf pan. Before I was using a longer pan and so getting long, but shallow loaves. This time I used a shorter higher pan and look how great it turned out! It tastes great too. I used some wholemeal spelt flour given to us by my Mum, it has a slightly nutty flavour and is great with cheese and pickle as I discovered this lunchtime. I highly recommend it and will probably hunt out the flour myself.

Spelt bread - one loaf

10g instant yeast
10g salt
500g wholemeal spelt flour
350g water

Put all the dry ingredients in a bowl and combine, then add the water and mix until you get a ball of dough (about five minutes if you're doing it by hand). Shape the dough into a tight ball and leave to rest in a warm place, covered by a tea towel, for about an hour, or until doubled in size. Knock the dough back with your fist, and place in the loaf pan, gently shaping it so it fits the whole pan. Leave to prove for another hour, or until doubled in size. Place in an oven preheated to 200C for 35 mins. Take out of the tin when cooked and leave to fully cool on a rack.

p.s. I think the bread looking so good is also helped by my shiny new camera! Our food might not always taste amazing, but at least it'll look brilliant!


No comments: