Thursday 3 July 2008

Can I have a job Mr Ottolenghi?

The whole time I've been blogging, in fact the whole time I've been baking, I don't think I've ever been as proud as I was when I put these on the table. They couldn't have turned out better. I felt like I'd turned a corner in my baking "career."

They are an Ottolenghi recipe, one of two types of tartlets that I made from his new cookbook. These are fresh berry with a mascarpone cream filling. I also made white chocolate and raspberry. They looked good too, but there is something about the perfect little berries and the bright colours that screams freshness and beauty. Hence they get pride of place. I only made twelve, and wish I'd made more, but I'm sure it won't be that long before they get another outing.

The pastry was slightly sweet, light and crumbly, the cream delicate and not too sweet, rather than dense and overpowering, which worked perfectly against the natural sweetness and bright colours of the berries. I only managed to get my hands on one, they went that fast! Definitely an excuse to make more.